Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas In The Air

We usually do not celebrate Christmas, but it's always very much a part of our lives, for it is in the air, everywhere greeting us.

This year, with my son just beginning to learn music in school, I get to hear Christmas songs at home when he returns.

My husband, who is in Delhi, has ordered some of the most delicious Christmas cake and pudding (from IIC) which he will bring back.  Thus I have saved my Christmas cake recipe for next year.

We have a tree in our little garden, but as we will be in Kolkata over Christmas this year, I have kept the decorations for next year (when my son will be older and able to reach the top branches).  This is prudent because our garden is full of leaping monkeys, inquisitive squirrels and nosy ravens right now.

Christmas in Kolkata has its own charm, even if Park street is too crowded to walk down, even though the old jazz haunts are now hard to find, even if our favourite traditional bakery closed its doors last year.  Christmas is still Christmas, and spending it with family and friends is always special.

Here are two old versions of my son's favourite Christmas songs -

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ara3-hDH6I

Jingle bells (apparently the first song to be played in outer space, which gives it an added appeal, in my son's eyes)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxAfn-7JBg

And here is my favourite song (which was also Elvis's favourite Christmas song, as sung by him)-

Blue Christmas-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAy8y5lEy9o

No comments:

#Header1_headerimg { margin: 0px auto }