Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Too Early for the Sky

There is so much poetry in songs; we sometimes forget because there is so much else in them too - the music, the voices. The moods they evoke are because of the words but often times it is the way the songs are sung. Happy songs can leave a trace of lingering wistfulness and sometimes, sad songs rekindle memories of hope while burying the past. This is strikingly evident in Johnny Clegg's South African songs - both with his original partner, Sipho Mchunu and their band, Juluka, and later, with his newer band, Savuka.

I had written a little earlier about the magical pairing of Johnny Clegg and Sipho Mchunu ( Blog dated June 12, 2010), http://sujatavaradarajan.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-my-african-dream.html

As I sit and listen to their songs again, I am moved by the strength and positivity they emanate while singing about grave and heartbreaking descriptions of Africa - songs of sadness accepted in a matter of fact manner, but not with resignation. Songs of protest, of justice, of determination, songs of the spirit of men and things beyond. While hearing them, one realizes that these are songs that could only have been written by people of an African country and somehow it is difficult to compare them to the usual songs bemoaning or exulting in the state of the world or one's love life (which is what one often hears!)

I was drawn to the lyrics initially by a song titled 'Too Early for the Sky'. I just couldn't imagine how one could be too early for something that is always there, until I listened carefully-

"I nearly disappeared into the mouth of a crocodile
I nearly touched the rain deep in the heaven on high
I could have been a sad piece of news on the radio
But you remembered me 'cause I'm not ready to go
Oh Halala, I'm home, looks like I've made it, Oh Halalo
Oh Halala, Oh Halala Ngasinda, Oh Halalo

I'm too early for the sky
Wenkunku wami wangisindisa mina
(Oh my Lord, you spared me)

Somewhere some grey computer nearly closed my file
This could have been the last time I ever saw you smile
The darkest night nearly swallowed up my eyes
But you remembered me 'cause I'm not ready for the sky
Oh Halala, I'm home, looks like I've made it, Oh Halalo
Oh Halala, Oh Halala Ngasinda, Oh Halalo

I'm too early for the sky
Wenkunku wami wangisindisa mina
(Oh my Lord, you spared me)"

No comments:

#Header1_headerimg { margin: 0px auto }